Kurrajong Downs Wines
Kurrajong Downs is situated 9 kms east of Tenterfield on the Bruxner Highway to Casino. The vineyard was established in 1997, with the first vintage in 2000. Eight noble grape varieties were planted and are thriving in the blue granite soils of the Tenterfield downs country.
The varieties are Chardonnay, Semillon, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Shiraz, Tempranillo, Traminer and Cabernet Sauvignon, on five hectares of vineyard.
A beautiful cellar door, built over an underground cellar cut into the hillside, was opened in 2001. The area features a cathedral ceiling with natural timber beams, a polished hardwood floor and a glass-fronted heater set into a hearth of natural granite. The bar and cellar door area continues the natural timber theme, with the bar top a special feature. It is made of West Indian Red Cedar salvaged from a tree blown down in a storm and attracts much comment from visitors.
A large rock retaining wall provides a terraced lawn area, with a viewing deck on the front of the building overlooking the vineyard and the beautiful downs country of the valley below.
The cellar door is open from Thursday to Sunday from 9.30 am to 4.00 pm.
The Rhodes family came to the Tenterfield region in 1858, when Jonus Rhodes joined the rush to the Timbarra gold diggings. He followed the lure of gold for the next 50 years until his death in 1912.
Each of the Kurrajong Downs wines carry a name inspired by that mining history, with an explanation of that name on the back label.